The Provincial Deputation of Cadiz is a public entity that provides services to citizens and provides financial, technical and technological support to municipalities in the province of Cadiz (Andalusia, Spain). It is also responsible for establishing and coordinating municipal services and organizing joint projects between locations.
In order to meet its commitments to citizens, from the Deputation are aware of the need for an Open Government, as well as the advantages that Open Data philosophy could offer to the Transparency and Citizen Participation of the Administration.
For this reason, they decide to rely on the Open Government Platform – OGoov to adjust its Open Data Portal to current legislation on reuse of public sector information. At the same time, they could provide citizens with greater facilities for processing the data exposed and generate graphs from them to facilitate its interpretation.
The Provincial Deputation of Cadiz, its public enterprises and the associated municipalities, in their capacity as Public Administration, produce a variety of interesting information for citizens and businesses, such as a social, economic, geographical, statistical, weather and tourist information. This is information that the Deputation of Cadiz offers in the form of open data.
This information has characteristics that make it particularly attractive as it is complete, reliable and quality, and it complies with the 8 principles of open data; data are published in the rough, well-structured and in open formats that facilitate the reuse.
Open Data in Public Administration allows any individual or organization could build upon them a new idea leading to the generation of new data, knowledge, process improvement, or adding value to existing ones.
Therefore, Open Data have a considerable economic and growth potential for the Provincial Deputation of Cadiz. They also promote Transparency and Citizen Participation and Collaboration, necessaries to have a more open government to citizens.
The Deputation had an Open Data section within its Open Government Portal. However, that section was based on a platform that is not compatible with Spanish regulations on Reuse of Public Sector Information (RISP) and its Technical Standard for Interoperability (NTI).
There is, therefore, a need to adapt to the current legislation (Royal Decree 1495/2011, of 24th October and the Resolution of 19th February 2013, of the Ministry of Public Administration, by which approves the Technical Standard for Interoperability Reuse of information resources), seeking to facilitate and ensure the process of reutilization of the public character information from the public administrations, ensuring the persistence of information, using formats as well as the terms and conditions of use suitable.
This standard aims to ensure the effective use of public sector documents by private companies and citizens and to promote the free flow of information and communication, ensuring respect for legal certainty, protection of personal data and intellectual and industrial property.
In order to have a portal adapted to the regulations, the Deputation decided to migrate its Open Data Portal. For this, it relied on OGoov.
The Provincial Deputation of Cadiz needed a portal to display information about its public policies and the results. Thanks to the Open Data Portal supported by OGoov, it seeks to strengthen the Transparency and reliability of the data generated by this administration.
The portal also needed to allow its citizens to manipulate that data through filters, grouping and ordination, so that, the true meaning will result absolutely transparent and, at the same time, it would allow them to draw conclusions from its analysis and graphics that it could generate.
Thanks to OGoov was deployed an Open Data Portal, able to display information from the Provincial Deputation of Cadiz and to facilitate its use for different social actors. The Open Data Portal is focused on three different figures:
- Developers: To encourage the reuse of public information, to allow the creation of new services, to promote innovation reducing the necessary investments for the development of applications and generally, to provide reliable information on which to develop research and business.
- Administration: To reduce barriers to the reuse of information, eliminating redundancies, promoting management efficiency and preventing undesirable situations such as corruption or misuse of public funds.
- Citizens: It seeks to add value to the result of the public management in a transparent, consistent and reliable way.
Within the project, OGoov included its RTOD component (Real Time Open Data), middleware that facilitates the consumption of dynamic content hosted on different suppliers systems from a single access point in order to automatically incorporate to the data catalog ensuring that the information provided always be updated with minimal effort of the administration.
With semantic load distributions that RTOD provides and the deployment of a semantic server, Apache Marmotta, the portal has also equipped with a SPARQL point for queries.
The Open Data Portal of the Provincial Deputation of Cadiz, in mid-2016, has 24 datasets and 58 distributions. This number will grow significantly as long as new sources of data are identified. At this time, the theme for the Public Sector and Transport bring together the largest number of datasets.
In addition, citizens, businesses and developers can now access to data related to Science and Technology, Culture and Leisure, Demographics, Economy, Environment, Society and Tourism.
The Open Data Portal of the Provincial Deputation of Cadiz supported by OGoov allows:
- Generate and stimulate the economy The Deputation is able to generate economies from the Open Data. There are many facets: management efficiency savings due to reuse of information and elimination of duplicate costs, increased visibility of processes and possibility of improvement actions on them, creating new services, or allowing setting mechanisms of internal and external collaboration, among many other things.
- Improve Transparency. Reusable data formats provided by the portal meet the requirements regarding the Law of Transparency and become an excellent means of communicating public administration conducted and accountability. This allows Administration to be more transparent in the management of public service and to build confidence in the population.
- Reuse public information. The Deputation, its public companies and municipalities generate huge amounts of useful information for other departments, organizations, companies, entrepreneurs and citizens. The Open Data Portal is established as a publishing tool and reuse of information in which the Administration puts its work available to companies and entrepreneurs with the goal of reuse and generate business.
- It is a source of innovation. The availability of new data sources give way to innovation, enabling strengthen business lines, creating new services, approaching problems from different perspectives, improving collaboration facing new challenges, etc.
If you are interested in implementing a project such as the Deputation of Cadiz, supported by OGoov, please contact us.